Thursday, September 9, 2010

Many Think This Way, and Many Fail

Most people who attempt to build a good deal of muscle fail. Sure, almost everyone is able to gain a small amount of muscle, but many never get beyond a slight level of development, despite focused efforts, years in the gym, supplementation, adequate diet, and--not least among these--an abundance of desire. There are reasons for the widespread failure, the most common being the plain, simple, and unfortunate fact that the majority of weight trainers don't know what they're doing. The exceedingly rudimentary nature of the undertaking suggests that an equally simple approach will suffice: Just lift weights many think to themselves as they hit the gym and unleash a furious, nonsensical workout. Just lift weights and good things will happen. The muscles will grow. Work a little harder and they'll grow a little more. The idea is intuitive and simple. The act couldn't be simpler. Many think this way, and many fail.

This is the second paragraph of Chapter 1: The Problem of Gordon LaValle's book Training for Mass. It perfectly captures the mindset I had when I first set foot in a gym. I knew what I wanted: to build a bigger physique. And I thought I knew how--just lift weights, right? And initially this was true. Like virtually all beginner trainers, I saw some modest immediate gains. It excited me, but I wanted more.

Figuring out how to pack on more muscle mass has taken me quite a long time. Why? Because I spent too much time following bullshit magazine workouts and obeying broscience advice I heard on TV or from a friend. I won't embarrass myself now by telling you about the two years I spent doing machine-only workouts and forcing myself to run miles at at time, multiple times a week.

I learned something from that experience, though. I learned one approach to exercise that does not lead to muscle mass gain. I've learned a lot of other approaches that don't work, and I'll probably get around to describing them at some point. But what I'd prefer to focus this blog on is what I have found does work: the training, nutrition, recovery, and supplementation necessary to build a chiseled physique.

I've got several blog posts in process already and a list of other ones I'm planning to write. I planning to review blogs, websites, and books I've found helpful; talk a lot about nutrition and a little about supplementation; post some quotes, excerpts, and videos I've found inspirational; tell you what's on my workout playlist; and occasionally just rant about the latest crazy thing Chatty Guy McGee has interrupted one of my sets at the gym to tell me.

I'm definitely still learning. I've grown a lot in 2010--honestly, more than I imagined I could a year ago. I'm hooked. I want to grow more.

No comments:

Post a Comment